Stress is defined as any kind of strain, tension or load in your mind and body. The reasons behind this kind of stress are various but one thing is common, whatever thing is causing you to stress it must be psychological in nature. People generally report having tension headaches, body pains, ulcers, allergies, and many medical problems. When they go to a doctor for the checkup, their medical test reports show normal results. This is a big indication that stress is psychological although it may manifest in form of physiological/bodily symptoms.
Stress is a kind of psychological problem which needs management. When someone is going through stress for a longer time, generally it ends up in self-medication or physician prescribed medication. This is the biggest culprit in increasing problems. Researchers now show that medicines are not always an effective treatment for psychological problems. Therefore, evidence based psychotherapeutic methods are now practiced which seem to be very effective in dealing with stress related problems and a variety of other mental health issues.
Stress management is a form of counseling method and people go to a psychologist in order to learn stress management techniques. It is mandatory to deal with your stress before it turns into a psychological disorder. Psychologists teach various strategies of stress management during a detailed counseling session. Some simple tips are described here for your understanding.
Tips on Stress Management:
- Relaxation or deep breathing exercise which seems to improve your concentration, alertness, and freshness of mind.
- Take a good sleep because it is a natural way to heal daily wear & tear process of our brain & body.
- Eat healthy food low in calories which is also beneficial in maintaining weight, skin tone, and figure.
- Take some time out for yourself, out of your busy schedule. Do exercise, cycling, or physical activity which requires movement of your body and muscles.
- Go out into nature since it provides you with inner peace and serenity.
- Watch your favorite movie, drama, comedy, or anything which visually fascinate you. If nothing possible for the time being just sit in a relaxed position, close your eyes and image a favorite scene or your favorite place where you enjoy the most.
- Listen to calming music or your favorite voices. Consequently, you feel relaxed.
- Eat your favorite food or things you find tasty because it gives you ultimate enjoyment.
- In addition, smell the delicious food or use your favorite perfume or aromas.
- Play with natural stuff like clay, smooth surfaces, touch and feel your pets like cat, rabbits etc. or any of your favorite textures which provide you a calming effect.
- Do whatever makes you happy. It may range from a recitation, travel, keeping a hobby, exercise or a dance.
- Spend time with your loved ones, friends, or someone you can share your feelings with.
- Find out the reasons of stress. It may be due to workload, difficulty in managing time, or any negative experiences of life. Work out the reason for stress
Finally, if you find it difficult to reason out, just take help of the psychologist who will help you effectively work out the reasons for tension/stress and guide you to deal with your stress successfully.
Ph.D. Clinical Psychology